Saturday, March 29, 2014

Dairy Free, Soy Free French Bread Pizza

I LOVE pizza, but my guts hate it.  During the dairy free years, I learned that taking a loaf of french bread, adding margarine and garlic salt and baking it, then dipping it into Boboli pizza sauce would kill the craving.  I even experimented with making french bread pizza using soy "mozzarella" with good results.  Once I started on soy restriction, I began to brainstorm ways of getting my pizza fix when the french bread at the store had soy, margarine had soy, and the "mozzarella" had soy.  Here is what I came up with:

French Bread Pizza (serves 2-4 depending on how many are teenagers)

2 loaves French Bread (I know it takes 3 hours, but so far, I haven't found an alternative.  I use unbleached flour rather than bread flour.  One recipe makes 2 loaves or 4 pizza breads.) When you finish making the bread, leave the oven on (450 F) and the pizza stone in the oven.


1 envelope Boboli Pizza Sauce (I really wish that I liked a different brand of pizza sauce because I always fee bad at how much packaging is in this product.  The problem is I think it is the perfect pizza sauce.)


1/2 to 1 bag daiya mozzarella shreds  (They are dairy, lactose, casein, gluten, soy and cholesterol free.  I have no idea what they are actually made out of.  I personally think they must be made out of magic. Safeway carries them.)


Once the French Bread has cooled enough to slice, cut it in half lengthwise.  
Spread sauce on each of the 4 halves.  Put cheese on top.  
Put the pizza breads back in the oven for about 5-10 min or until the "cheese" melts and the bread is toasted on top.
Generally, add more sauce than usual, because the "cheese" overpowers it.  Also for being a vegan product, the "cheese" is really filling. 



No comments:

Post a Comment