I LOVE biscuits. Especially canned biscuits. Unfortunately, between the dairy and the soy restrictions, it has been a long time since I've had any. I scoured the internet to try and find a recipe that had neither dairy nor soy. I never found one. So I took a vegan one and added lard. It came out amazing! Here it is:
2 cups flour (I used unbleached)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup lard
3/4 cup almond milk
1 tsp vinegar
Preheat oven to 450
Add vinegar to milk and set aside.
Put dry ingredients into a bowl. Using a pastry blender blend lard into the dry ingredients until you have a course mixture.
Add milk mixture and stir
Put dough onto a silpat silicone cookie sheet (or a floured countertop) and knead until dough is smooth. If the dough is sticky add flour.
Put another silpat on top of the dough and use a rolling pin to roll to about 1/2 inch thickness. (If you don't have a silpat, then just roll it out carefully. I'm lazy so I use the silpats.) Remove top silpat.
Use a drinking glass to cut out rounds. Place the rounds on a third silpat on top of a perforated baking sheet (or if you don't have the fancy equipment any ungreased cookie sheet) Then gather up the extra into a ball and roll again and cut out rounds again. Then gather up the extra and make an amoeba biscuit by piling it into a generally biscuit shaped blob. (Can you find the amoeba biscuit in the photos?) Bake for 10-12 minutes.



No comments:
Post a Comment