Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Gloriously delicious, easy, dairy free, soy free pumpkin pie!

I LOVE pumpkin pie.  When I had to give up dairy 7 ish years ago, I embarked on a quest to find a pumpkin pie recipe that was as good as our secret family recipe (the one on the back of the big Libbie's can that makes 2 pies), that was simple, and that didn't require me to go to a specialty store to purchase ingredients.  And I failed.  Until today.  I will spare you the details on coconut milk pies that didn't taste quite right and soy milk pies that were the wrong consistency.  I acquired the recipe to make one using lactose free egg nog, which the store I go to didn't carry (they carry soy nog, which I can't have).  Last year, I spent 5 unicorn hours stirring a a pot of lactose free milk to evaporate it enough to make 2 pies.  (It's a good thing I have a kindle and a pumpkin pie loving lactose intolerant cousin willing to corral the children for 5 hours.) Finally, I found a  recipe that used almond milk and seemed simple.  However, I prefer white sugar to Brown sugar in pumpkin pies, I prefer using cinnamon, cloves, salt and ginger to us in pumpkin pie spice and I buy vanilla almond milk not original.  So I fussed with the recipe and came up with the following (which is a mix of the back of the Libby's can and the linked recipe).   I have sampled it (by eating 1/4 of the first pie for lunch) and it is wonderful!  There is a running joke in our family that my secret family recipe makes 2 pies so I have to make 2 even though most of the family prefers fruit pies, so when I created this recipe it is for 2 pies.  It can be halved, but since I like pumpkin pie for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert,  and snack,  I can't imagine doing so.  Enjoy! 

Pastry for two pies (I used Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts, which are soy and dairy free but not vegetarian)
2 cups vanilla almond milk
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon (I like cinnamon I added a little extra)
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
29 oz can of pumpkin puree 
6 eggs

Preheat oven to 375 F.  Put the crusts into 9 in pie plates and flute the edges.  Or don't bother. I dont judge based on how your food looks.  Whisk together (I use my kitchen aid because I don't whisk by hand) remaining ingredients and pour into pie dishes and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Also, when baking pies, I use a pie ring to keep the crust from getting over done.  You can use foil around the edges if you dont have a pie ring.  Or if you dont mind the edges being a bit over done, just leave it. Let cool.  Or do what I did and eat it as soon as it comes out of the oven being careful to blow on each bite so you don't burn your tongue so bad you can't taste anything for a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment